Atlantic Hurricane Season 2015 Forecast

two_pac_0d0HPIR

Images: National Hurricane Center/NOAA

Updated Wednesday, June 3, 2015  6:55 p.m. EST

There are 2 storms in the Pacific, but none at this time in the Atlantic.  In the eastern Pacific,  Hurricane Blanca, a category 4 storm is nearly stationary with maximum sustained winds of 140 mph. Blanca is 810 miles SSE of Cabos San Lucas, Mexico, according to the National Hurricane Center advisory. Blanca is forecast to begin moving forward north northwest (N/NW) on Thursday. Tropical Storm Andres continues to not be a threat to any land and is out in the open sea.

 Regardless of the forecast numbers, it only takes one hurricane to make landfall in the United States, hurricane experts and meteorologists say. Dr. Rick McNabb, director of the National Hurricane Center urges the public to prepare in advance and have a plan.  This interview was first posted on May 14, 2015 during Governor’s Hurricane Conference in Orlando, Florida.

The Atlantic hurricane season is June 1 – November 30.  Tropical meteorology researchers Dr. Philip Klotzbach and Dr. William Gray at Colorado State say “We continue to see a well-below average 2015 Atlantic hurricane season. A strong  El Nino even now appears likely conditions in the tropical Atlantic remain unfavorable for hurricane formation. We continue to call for a below average probability of U.S. and Caribbean major hurricane landfall” in their June 1st extended forecast.  The researchers forecast 8 named storms, 3 hurricanes and 1 major hurricane.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami and National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration also released their forecast for the 2015 Atlantic hurricane season.

6 – 11 named storms, which includes Tropical Storm ANA that formed in May

3 – 6  hurricanes

0 – 2 major hurricanes

Their outlook calls for a 70 % chance for a below-normal season, 20% chance of near normal season and only a 10% of an above normal season. According to many models, the NHC/NOAA forecast says El Nino is expected to intensify during the season and is currently affecting rainfall and wind patterns across equatorial Pacific Ocean.

For updates, go to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

—Carol Lim

Sources: http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu, http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov

 

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Hurricane Season, National News, Weather and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s