Having fried chicken or barbeque for lunch or dinner? A good side dish is fried okra. Most recipes use corn meal, but if you don’t have it in your pantry, here’s our recipe using bread crumbs. The okra is coated twice with bread crumbs. For more seasoned fried okra, add a dash of season salt or salt and pepper to the bread crumbs and to the egg wash.
4 fresh okra per serving
A little milk (optional)
Salt, Pepper or Seasoned Salt
1. Wash and cut okra into pieces.
2. Roll okra pieces in a bowl of bread crumbs. Leave in the bowl.
3. Make mixture of egg and milk in a separate bowl. Add bread-crumb coated okra pieces to egg wash and mix everything together.
4. With a slotted spoon, remove the coated okra pieces to another clean bowl.
5. Add 1/2 cup or more of bread crumbs to coated okra and mix everything together.
6. Heat 1/2 inch of oil over medium heat. Test one okra piece. If one okra browns too quickly, remove pan from stove for oil to cool down. After a few minutes, add the other okra. Cook okra in batches over low to medium heat.
7. Fry okra 2-5 minutes until okra is golden.
8. Remove from hot oil. Put fried okra on a plate with paper towels to dry, drain excess oil.
9. Season fried okra with salt, pepper or seasoned salt.
10. Serve warm and enjoy!