Houston Fire Department News

Since last Thursday to Monday afternoon, the Houston Fire Department responded to 5 building fires in northwest Houston, 1 building fire in northeast Houston,  2 building fires in southeast Houston and 2 building fires in southwest Houston.  No one was reported injured in any of these fires.

A  fire in a small storage structure caused an estimated $5,000 in damage.  It happened Saturday at 1:11 a.m. in the 9200 block of Pecos Street in northwest Houston. HFD arson investigators ruled the fire was set.

In northeast Houston, a house fire in the 2100 block of Bringhurst Street caused $25,000 in damage.  HFD arson investigators ruled this fire also was set.  The house fire happened Sunday, April 28, 2018 at 4 p.m.

In northwest Houston, firefighters responded to a fire at a strip center restaurant at 13280 Northwest Freeway.  It happened at 2:47 p.m. today, April 29th. Firefighters put out the fire inside an outside column. HFD  reported careless discarded cigarette or cigarettes caused the fire resulting in $2,500 damage.

In northwest Houston, unattended cooking caused $150,000 in damage at a 2-story apartment building on Friday, April 27th at 4:09 p.m.  The fire at 13030 Northbrorough Drive was brought under control shortly after 6 p.m. by crews from stations 58, 64, 74 and 84.  HFD found food left cooking on the stove in a first-floor apartment started the blaze.

Another apartment fire in northwest Houston late Saturday night did an estimated $12,000 in damage. It happened at 7400 Hillmont Street.  The renter of the apartment unit put out the small kitchen fire before firefighters arrived. HFD tested the smoke detector and used an imaging camera to look for hiding hot spots. HFD determined unintentional cooking caused the fire.

Here are HFD safety tips on avoiding kitchen grease fires and injuries:

Turn pot handles away from the front of the stove to keep them out of reach of children.

Don’t place pan and pot handles over another burner.

Wear short sleeve or tight fitting long sleeves when cooking.

Shield yourself from scalding steam when removing lids from hot pots and pans.

Pot holders also can catch fire. Make sure pot holders are not close to the stove.

Remove and clean grease from ovens, broilers, stove tops and exhaust ducts.

If there is an oven fire, turn off oven and close the oven door.

Make sure your smoke detector is always working.

Also in northwest Houston, there was a house fire in the 900 block of 21st Street on Saturday, April 28th at 2:39 p.m.  A citizen put out the fire in the kitchen.  HFD reported the cause was unintentional, but the fire caused $4,000 in estimated damage.

In southeast Houston, an apartment fire at 1516 Lawndale Plaza was caused by a bathroom fan motor that failed.  It happened on Friday, April 27th at 9:17 a.m.  Smoke from a fan in a second floor apartment restroom caused $1,000 in estimated damage.   The fire in a  dryer of a home in the 13900 block of Enridge  resulted in $14,000 in estimated damage. HFD reported smoke detectors alerted the residents, who smelled the smoke.

In southwest Houston,  kitchen  grease caught fire in an apartment at 10225 Bissonnet last Thursday, April 26th at 12:33 p.m.  The renter put out the fire before firefighters arrived. The kitchen grease fire caused $2,500 in estimated damage.

Also in southwest Houston, HFD Arson investigators ruled a fire at a gas station/fast food restaurant was accidental.  It happened at 13535 S. Post Oak Road on Friday, April 27th.  The fire caused $199 thousand in estimated damage.  Firefighters from Stations 21 and 29 had the fire under control and out in an hour.

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Cooking, Harris County News, Houston Fire Department News, Houston News. Bookmark the permalink.