Houston Fire Department Arson investigators ruled 2 recent fires were deliberately set. One was at a house in the 3700 block of Lehall St. The arson fire did $25,000 in estimated damage. Firefighters found light black smoke from the roof and at the back of the home in the Old Spanish Trail-South Union area of south Houston. The home had burglar bars and dogs in the backyard. Firefighters had to force their way inside to put out the fire. Stations 46,25,24,7, 35, 33 and 21 responded.
Another arson fire was at an apartment in the Gulfton area of southwest Houston. The fire at 6681 Atwell Drive caused $7,000 in estimated damage. Firefighters found a stack of pallets on fire next to the apartment building. The fire appeared to be spreading to the apartments. Firefighters from stations 51, 28,37, 68 and 2 worked to protect the other apartment units and put out the fire.
A house fire in the 10400 block of Sutter Glen Lane is under investigation by HFD arson investigators. It happened Thursday, July 12 at 6:39 a.m. in the 10400 block of Sutter Glen Lane in the South Belt/Ellington area of southeast Houston. Firefighters found the fire inside the kitchen and stairwell area. A neighbor heard a smoke alarm go off, but ignored it. Firefighters from Stations 61,70,36,26 and 93 responded.
The apartment fire at 3833 Dunlavy Street on Sunday, July 15th at 9:02 p.m. was ruled accidental. There was smoke damage to the 8th floor with water damage to one apartment. A fire was found on the roof of the 8-story complex. Residents had lit a sky lantern that accidently caught the roof on fire. Firefighters quickly put out the fire. HFD reports the gas valves to the roof and the sprinkler system to the 8th floor were shut down. Stations 16, 19,31,8,3,11,25,33,37,6,15 and 14 responded.
A house fire in the Eldridge/West Oaks area of west Houston was caused by equipment or heat source failure. The fire happened Thursday, July 12 at 7:25 p.m. in the 3000 block of Skypark Drive. The fire caused $40,000 in estimated damage in two rooms and water damage in the garage. Firefighters quickly put out the fire in the second floor of the home. The resident told firefighters the fire started from a window air-conditioning unit that set a mattress on fire. Stations 83, 75,76 and 78 responded.
No one was reported injured in the above fires last week.